Do you feel like summer is slipping away? Are you looking for a way to prolong it just a wee bit more? I’m not, but I know people like summer. And I think this variation to my White Chocolate Scones has a summery vibe to it – blueberries. When it was peak blueberry season, I had a bunch of blueberries for muffins and pancakes and cereal but I still ended up with leftover blueberries and I also had a yen for scones so I thought – substitute the raisins for blueberries. What’s the worse that could happen? Well, the answer to that question is me eating too many scones, that’s what.
When to scones came out of the oven I had a pretty good idea I made the right decision in tossing the blueberries into the batter. When they cooled just a bit and I took a bite – the brightness of the blueberries mingling with the melty-yumminess of the white chocolate chips – I knew I made the right decision. Heaven. And from my friends who I gifted some scones I’d heard the same feedback. These scones will be on a staple on baking list .
The scones come together quickly and easily, just be careful when combining the blueberries to the batter. This little extra love when mixing is well worth it when it comes time to eat one. 🙂
Ready for the recipe? I’ve made these scones a few times over the summer and I found that anywhere from 3/4 cup of blueberries to 1 cup of blueberries works, the more the better. 🙂
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¾ cup to 1 cup blueberries
- Place egg in a liquid measuring cup. Add enough buttermilk to equal 1 cup, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in white chocolate chips and blueberries. Add milk and egg mixture. Stir until dough clings together.
- Drop dough, use ¼ cup measure, onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!